Ensalada Por Cinco De Mayo
Posted May 5, 2014on:
May is Celiac awareness month and to celebrate what better way than food?since today is Cinco de Mayo why not combine all these things and partake in a progressive dinner with some fellow bloggers. So grab your chef knife, a few ingredients, pour yourself a margarita and join us all for dinner! Start with www.glutenfreeeasily.com for an appetizer, then back to my blog for your salad with me. Next you’ll go to http://www.espirational.com for dinner and finish with a delicious dinner with http://www.carriegf.wordpress.com! here’s a recipe for a Mexican Salad that is pretty to look at and even better to the palate! Enjoy!
- 1 head of romaine washed and sliced thin
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 1 avocado pitted, sliced thinly
- ½ red or green pepper sliced thinly
- 1 pkg of cole slaw mix
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn(thawed and warmed)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese or goat cheese if dairy allergy or Dayia cheese
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ sour cream
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- ½ c. olive oil
- 1/3 c. lime juice
- ¼ c. cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder or flakes if you like spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make your dressing by whizzing all the ingredients together and let rest while you gather your salad.
- layer all the ingredients for the salad in a large salad bowl. The cole slaw mix makes this authentic as in mexico cabbage is very common in their salads.
- Brush your tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with a taco seasoning or not, slice into thin strips, and bake till crispy but not brown! Top the salad with these, they’ll add a very welcome crunch to the salad.
- serve with the salad dressed or dressing on the side depending on your group size.
- Serve the salad with sour cream and salsa on the side for those that like that.
- Would be great with shredded deli chicken for a complete meal or browned ground beef cooked with taco seasoning!
- A salt-rimmed margarita would be the ideal beverage to accompany this salad but a simple pinot grigio would work as well!