Here’s a healthy way of eating fries without the guilt! Try it, you’ll like it!
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2″ sticks
- 1 small rutabaga, also peeled and cut into 2″ sticks
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 350.
- Toss veggies with oil,salt and pepper.
- roast on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes tossing once.
- Be sure to lay them out flat and not stacked if you like them crispy.
- This makes 6-8 servings.
I don’t know about you but I love to grab a book, sit in the shade and waste time away in a good book. I could sit there for hours imagining myself in Africa, England or New York depending on the book! I put a list together of some really great reads, some of my favourites in case you’re looking for a book for this summer’s holiday!
Here they are:
- The Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Steig Larson – a bit dark but the story will suck you in from page 1!
- Fifty Shades of Grey – what can I say, I am a sucker for love stories and this one will capture you and you will not be able to put down! They are not meant for teenagers though, be warned!
- Cutting for Stone- Abraham Verghese - A story that has more twists and turns than Canada’s Highway!
- Angels in my Hair by Lorna Byrne – A true story of an Irish Lass who sees and talks to your guardian angels.
- Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - A story of a family headed to the Congo on a Baptist mission
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – A classic with difficult cast to get to know but once you do, you’ll be enthralled!
- Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - A tear jerker
- The Red Tent by Anita Daimant – great read, interesting Bible times story.
- The Women’s Murder Club Series (11 books) James Patterson
- If you like James Patterson try David Baldacci’s books!
That’s my list, that should keep you busy for the summer. I’d really love some ideas from you that I may not have read!
Thsi will be the best and easieast tea you will ever make! It is a tradition at our house and the kids look for it when they come over now! Here’s what you need:
- large glass jar (can be bought at Walmart,Target etc, they often have a spout on the front)
- 6 tea bags
- water to fill the jar
- Put the tea bags in the glass jar and fill the jar with water.
- Set it outside in a sunny spot and let brew till strength of your preference.
- You can use any type of tea bag, black,green,herbal whatever you like.
- serve in a large glass with lots of ice, a lemon wedge or a strawberry for garnish.
- Can be sweetened if you like but we have always had it without even when the kids were young, they had it this way. Honey or sugar will work.
- Kepp refrigerated for a week or so.
It’s the long weekend, for some they call it the May 2-4, but it’s only May 17th tomorrow so I don’t know if that applies this year! What does long weekend mean for you? Will you be a lazy daisy and read a book in the sun or on the beach? Why don’t you take a ride to my place?
I have a busy weekend planned so be warned if you plan to drop on by! I will put you to work! First we have to open the pool, a right of passage and it’s not spring until it’s open in my eyes! It’s usually done by now but it’s been so cold so we put it off a week or two! So, stopping by tomorrow works for me…I’m just saying!
Then again if Saturday is better for you, we will be in the garden making the yard all pretty for you to all visit this summer! We have gardens to weed, propagate, and thin out! So please do stop by and get some seedlings! Bring your gloves too..we could use the help…I’m just saying!
There’s all that lawn furniture that needs to come out too, bring your muscle man when you visit, he’ll come in handy when we need to get out the chimney for our long toasty campfires in the summer time! You know the ones where we roast sausages, marshmallows and occasionally pop corn? So wear comfy shoes and put on your sunscreen, I’m just saying!
While you’re here, might as well give the windows a wash! They look mighty dirty from all that winter gunk! How does that happen? It doesn’t matter to me if you choose to use paper towels or newspapers, whatever you like, I’ll supply it! Just wear old clothes so that you’re comfy, there are a lot of windows to do! I’m just saying!
Since you’ll be working so hard, I guess I can come up with a bit of lunch for you? How about a nice spicy turkey burger with a giant pickle and a side of potato salad and a nice cold glass of sun-tea? Sounds good? Come on over, the grill is on! I’m just saying!
Have a safe, fun and fulfilling long weekend… I’m just saying!
It’s the long weekend in Canada so the BBQ will be firing up this weekend! enjoy this recipe alongside a nice green salad or perhaps roasted veggie dish or both! Enjoy!
- 16 oz ground turkey/chicken
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp medium salsa
- ¼ cup g.f. bread crumbs or g.f. oats
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp premium olive oil
- 1 tsp Creole seasoning mix
- In a large bowl mix together the seasoning mix, oregano, pepper, cumin powder, garlic powder, eggs, bread crumbs, and salsa.Use a garlic press and press garlic into the turkey meat.
- Add the turkey, and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into 4 burgers.
- Cook on grill, over medium heat. Cook burgers for 6-8 minutes per side until center is no longer pink. Serve on a nice crusty gluten-free bun or on a bed of lettuce!
- Top with your favourite toppings including tomato, avocado, onion, pineapple etc.
- For Creole Mix you need:
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
Directions: Blend in a jar and use as needed to spice up your recipes!
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup G.f. bread crumbs or GF oats
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger rolls (gluten-free)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 small Romaine lettuce leaves, or any other type you have on hand
- red onion sliced thin
- red pepper rounds
- sauteed mushrooms
- pineapple rings
- cheese of any kind
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-low heat.
In a food processor, pulse onion and garlic until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, cilantro, parsley, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
Divide remaining mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes a side or until heated through. Toast hamburger buns on a grill. Place a burger on the bottom of each bun. Top with lettuce, tomato and or any topping you like. Cover the burgers with the top of the bun and serve.